Wednesday, October 2, 2013

At the finish line . . . eh, beginning line

My first post on my "Author" blog.  The same blog that took me all week to figure out how to create (don't ask!).  The same blog that I will change 42 times till I figure everything out! 

Hi, I'm Jacquelyn Ayres and I'm technologically challenged.  I don't like it but I "own it" just the same. *shrugs*

That aside; I'm here.  That means one more thing has been checked off before my debut novel hits Amazon in the next few weeks (God willing).  Yes, I have a list.  A list of things I want to have in order before this great event happens.  It's my way of freaking out.  Get all my ducks in a row. While I'm at it; your ducks, his ducks . . . maybe a goat.  ADD is a bitch, isn't it?

So now that the stars are aligning (or ducks), I am beginning to do the "Freak out" dance that most Debut Authors do before their book is released.  I imagine it as a Contemporary piece (the dance that is) set to the music of "Will They Like It?" 

Recently, I've thought more and more about this question. 

 I read an average of 2-6 books a week; sometimes more.  Lately, I've been trying very hard to give reviews for these books.  I'm a little ashamed to admit that I never did that in the past.  It's so important to the Authors not only to gain readers but maybe some critique that will help them to grow as writers.  For me, it's been an added excitement that I wasn't quite expecting!  To be able to share and encourage others to pick up a book that I myself may have passed up without a recommendation is an amazing feeling.  I get why all of the Book Bloggers do it (Thank You Book Bloggers and you're awesome).  So will I become a "Book Blogger"?  As much as I would LOVE to do that, I'd have to say no.  I can't even figure out how to get the tweet bird on here for people to follow me--yet!  I will post links for my reviews on Amazon and Goodreads though.  I definitely wouldn't mind being a guest reviewer on a blog. I would say that will probably be my limit but . . . things always change.

Anyhoo . . . so there I was clicking 5 stars and writing a review for one of the best books I've read this year (Geoducks are for Lovers by Daisy Prescott http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/721832761) and the panic set in.  What if my book isn't polished enough to be published? What if "they" don't like it? 

Four people have read it.  Two of those four actually helped with editing and dissecting but it wasn't enough.  There were different sections of the book that were bothering me and for some reason I wasn't fixing it.  

Reviewing others helped me to get out of my own way sorta speak.  I finally put my book in the hands of the most creative, honest, will kick the shit out of me without blinking an eye, friend I have.  Within 35 pages she mentioned almost everything thing (well, I read between the lines) that was bothering me.  The past few days I've been editing with a new fire under my ass!  I'm finally feeling more content with what I'm sending out there.  Am I still worried?  There would be something wrong with me if I wasn't!  I will always worry whether it's book 1 or 100.  That's the way it should be when you are doing something you love.

So, what's the name of this book that has me dancing the "Will They Like It" dance?

Drum roll please . . . . 

"GOODBYE CAUTION"  Book 1 of The Lost and Found Series
                                                                
Synopsis

Becca Campbell just wants to raise her daughter right and keep her Bed & Breakfast afloat in this economy. Her traumatic past leaves her with no desire for a relationship. That is, until, Grayson James walks through her door. He’s not the type of man you can say “No” to easily. Becca feels a pull towards Grayson that she can’t quite understand. But her past and Grayson’s controlling nature starts to push her away and right into Ray McNeil’s comforting arms. Right where Ray’s always wanted her.
Who will Becca choose?
Will she run to the safety of Ray’s arms or throw caution to the wind and stay with Grayson despite his controlling and secretive nature?

So there it is! I am pushing for a Mid-November release!  I am also happy to report that the entire trilogy is complete and there will be no long waits between the books!

On a final note . . .  I would squeee with joy if anyone gave me a 5 star approval however, you will never find me giving myself 5 stars.  I don't believe any Author should give themselves the highest rating out there unless of course it is the last great story you will ever tell!  If I feel I'm at five stars where would my drive go to push for better?

Happy reading everyone!

Jac


No comments:

Post a Comment